Minutes Humboldt Park Friends
General Membership Meeting, April 6, 2017
Attendance: Zeno France, Time Richter, Myron Thomsen, Steve Blank, Supervisor Haas, Jane LeCapitaine, Ignacio Catral, Mary Rust, Daniel Mangert, Kyle Kummers
- Announcements – no announcements
- Reports of dogs off leash; suggested that HPF post a reminder for dog walkers to keep their dogs on leash AND To pick up after their dogs.
- Not related specifically to the park, vehicles stolen, broken into, tires stolen; reminder to remove items from cars; turn on vehicle alarms and lock doors.
- Annual Easter Egg Hunt thanks to the assistance of the committee, it appears that we are in good shape; over 4000 eggs; 5 age zones clearly marked & will be staffed by volunteers to reduce parent participation; provided general assistance and additional eggs if some kids didn’t receive any.
- Will drawing five prizes for kids, one per age zone; tickets at main entrance; staffed by volunteers and tickets distributed and sorted by age.
- Four gift certificates for adults from Café Corzaon; tickets at main entrance
- Five golden eggs thanks to BOUNCE.
- Received the filling of eggs from First Federal Bank and neighborhood kids; First Federal also donated $200 for the egg hunt.
- Will request recycling of eggs; food drive pilot; local entrepurers will sell hot beverages and donate proceeds to HPF.
- Bathroom Renovations – Hooray, after several years of discussing and planning, the renovations are about to begin on April 10th and estimated to finish before end of month. The renovations could take occur thanks to Milw County Parks’ investment of $50,000 into sub-infrastructure of the pavilion.
- Funding thru a partnership of St. Francis Brewery Beer Garden Maintenance Fund ($23,000) Milwaukee County Parks Amenities Fund ($23,700) and HPF ($4,000).
- Recently learned that Parks is recommending large stalls; HPF Board recommended a HPF crowd sourcing fund; thanks to the generosity and support of our community, that effort raised $3000 – note of the $3000, SFB donated $1000.
- HPF Annual Clean UP coordinated by Myron & Linda Thomsen (thank you)
- Saturday, April 29th from 9 am to 12 noon
- Bags and gloves donated by Keep Greater Milwaukee Beautiful and Milwaukee County Parks
- Jane offered to develop flyers to distribute at local schools and business.
- Beer Garden Opening – Tom Dillion, Beer Garden Manager reported that due to the roof replacement which is scheduled for the end of April with a completion dated of mid- May, weather depending. Discussed with Parks and contractor agreed to start at the North end of pavilion so the beer garden could minimize its loss.
- Soft opening tentatively scheduled for May 9 or 10.
- A fun promotional event – schedule a hard hat tineJ
- Summer EVENTS
4th of July Parade – HPF will once again participate
Corn Roast, August 8th
Bocce Fest, need to raise $3000; secured a few sponsors ($1,900), number of courts reduced and signup starts in June; event promotional materials are in preparation
As always need volunteers.
- Lagoon Restoration – the community committee identified specific information on the lagoon; information will be helpful to understand what was & what is possible in the future; the information request will be passed on the County Parks; when received the committee will review and begin preliminary plans.
- Will tap into local engineering and environmental professional resources to assist the committee
- Need to purchase erosion mat for the area where cat tails and invasive species was removed in October 2016 – no funds available at this time.
- HPF will need to fund raise for restoration activities.
- Request the County Parks, when HPF is ready for next removal for their active participation through the use of its front end loader.
- Note, the Parks raking machine is located at the South Shore
Mission Statement….Humboldt Park Friends is a non-profit organization focused on engaging the Bay View neighborhood and greater Milwaukee communities and fostering park stewardship through volunteering, preserving park history, improving park amenities and safety, and sponsoring events and programming for education and enjoyment of Humboldt Park.